29 May 2008

Thunder, Lightning, & Storms

I can still vividly remember how as a little girl I would cry and cringe in one corner upon hearing strong, loud and powerful sounds from what they call THUNDER. And as if the terrible sound isn’t enough, it will be followed by a flashing light that cuts through the darkness caused by the angry weather --- that’s what they call LIGHTNING. Then comes the pouring rain.

Of the three, I love the rain. In fact, it’s the only thing that could bring my sobs to an end. Mama would embrace me and allow me to soak wet outside just so to stop me dwelling on my fear. Ironically, outside is far scarier but whatever, I only cared about the rain. The feeling of having something within washed away is thrilling.

That girl has grown up already but the feeling stays still. Yes, she no longer cries over thunder and lightning but something inside still melts whenever there is an occurrence.

And yes, she loves the rain - still. It’s the gloomy weather that promises a beautifully arched rainbow in the sky. And the reminder that God is up there, taking control. Cleansing her and refreshing her in seasons of dryness. Sometimes, the cleansing comes with terrible sounds like that of thunder and with fiery flashes like that of lightning, so as to bring an arrogant heart back to humility and repentance. And sometimes, it comes quietly, almost without warning, like that of small drops, enough to be noticed and felt. It’s the small, still voice wanting to be heard and obeyed and so give way to a greater blessing.
____
Soak me now, Lord.


**Note, this post is inspired by a desire to write something about my fear of thunder but anyhow, I ended up reflecting on this. God is great. =)